Friday, December 02, 2005

I Guess Theory Goes Here, Now.

So the Forge closed down the Theory and GNS forums, as Ron has been gearing up to do for, fuck, over a year, now. So it's not like it's a surprise. It is kind of sad, though. RPG Theory was the board that I posted the most to, where I was the most comfortable, where my interests lay. 226 of my 460 posts have been there. I understand that Ron wants to talk theory in context of Actual Play and Actual Design -- I'm just not in a place right now where I can do much of either, so I doubt I'll be able to participate there as much as I was on the Theory board. A good chunk of the Forge closed down for me today by raising the bar higher than I can go. Which is fine; they are trying to raise the level of discourse, and the level of discourse is something that I've always appreciated there. My voice just won't be as large a part of that discourse any more.

So I suppose I'll shift more of my theory maunderings over here; expect more abstracted conceptions of how games operate in the months to come. I am looking forward to elaborating the interaction model with articles like Focusing the Scope, and then incorporating them back into later versions of the bigger model. I'm very eager to see if this keeps generating insights for me.

And on occasion, when I manage to pry an hour out of my life to write FLFS, I'll throw something up over on the Forge. Maybe I'll even get some actual play in someday, and report on that. And then we can all go skating at Lucifer's Ninth Circle rink. Yay!

1 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Ron Edwards said...

Much as I'm happy to be reading stuff here, don't forget that you can post stuff about any of your play-experience in Actual Play. Doesn't have to be current

 

Post a Comment

<< Home