Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Minor Note: Art and Artists

So I'm looking for artists for Full Light, Full Steam. I'm picky. I'm very specifically looking for folks who can handle scenes and portray situations rather than draw a badass chick with a gun. Cause while those splat-pages in every single White Wolf book ever printed are pretty and all, they're pretty useless when it comes to describing actually playing the game. In any case, I am quickly discovering that this distinction separates the sheep and the goats. Lots of folks can draw people. I suspect that an art school emphasis on character studies make these a common topic of illustrations. The artists that can block out a scene and illustrate it without having people tilted at odd angles, without some people's hands obscuring others' faces, and without making gobblygook out of the spatial relations... yeah, not so many of those.

4 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Bradley "Brand" Robins said...

This reminds me of something that happened once when a non-gaming friend was going over my RPG books and looking through them. He was looking at Exalted and suddenly goes, "Hey, in this game I can fight giant shark men with a sword as big as my head!"

Later, looking through Mage, he asked, "So, um, what do you do in this game besides look cool and be abstract?"

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Joshua BishopRoby said...

And amusingly, I played many Mage characters whose sole purpose was to look cool and be abstract.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Adam Dray said...

Yeah, I went through this with my artists for Verge. They're nicely trained now. =)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Matt Snyder said...

You're on the right track -- absolutely the difference between the sheep and the goats, as far as I'm concerned. Wish I had some more speicific artists suggestions, but no one leaps to mind besides Eric Lofgren, who did work for me on Nine Worlds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home